Tuesday, May 20, 2003

The other thing I want to discuss is that my hair is turning white. White!

I was looking in the mirror last night, for no reason that I can really think of, and I noticed a white hair over by my temple. It was roughly the thickness and tensile strength of a cat whisker, as I discovered when the wife pulled it out with what I would describe as glee.

I started to paw through my hair like hair like a dachsund digging for a gopher and I discovered many more of these white hairs. It was clearly time to panic.

In the interest of full disclosure I should mention that I am merely 31 years old. Is this the age that Pete Townshend was thinking of when he wrote "I hope I die before I get old"? Is entropy creeping into my follicles? Have I unwittingly seen a spook?

An interesting feeling overcame me, and I realized it was resignation. My grandfather had totally white hair by the time he was forty or something, and I think I'm headed in that direction. Hopefully it'll be a few more years before I start wanting to wear my pants over my stomach and tucking my tie into them. And I'm not looking forward to the tweed jackets either.

But I kid. If I could be anything at all like my grandfather, it would be a good thing.

What really worries me is that the hairs are appearing at the temples only. And that means my future look is more like J. Jonah Jameson of Spiderman fame. Ah well.

Pages

Blog Archive