Monday, July 29, 2002

This is Whitney's Playland-at-the-Beach!, an old amusement park that used to grace the San Francisco Bay Coast, right next to The Cliff House, razed to make way for condos in 1972. Such a shame..

The site has pictures of the old park, including The Fun House, which includes a Sunset magazine article with some way-out photos. Is Sunset magazine still around? It was an omnipresent feature when I was a kid, demanding that things be painted in a Southwestern motif for no good reason and always having a fun and zippy way to use those leftover avocados.

Laughing Sal, who I'm guessing inspired some nightmares in her time, and the site designer's tale of her brush with Sal.

1996 Playland Sculptures

The Camera Obscura, which is still there.

And, finally, It's-It Ice Cream Sandwiches, the search for which led me to this site. Man, I would sell my soul to the devil for a...well, maybe not my soul. Maybe the devil could have my soul on alternate Thursdays if I could just have a tasty tasty It's-It right now.

Pages

Blog Archive