Thursday, July 26, 2001

So I decided to start keeping one of these here Blog things. "Why?" I hear you cry. "Why add one more voice to this screaming hootenanny." Hmm. I'll have to think about that one. Maybe I'll do some more of this later, including some biographical info.

I always thought that if I had myself a weblog, I'd love to start it off by quoting from an aged country western singer. Then, I thought to myself "You know what would really be ideal? If that aged country western singer was in some way referring to stuff falling from space."

So here goes:

"I've also been playing with my Tibetan singing bowl, which has its own wonderful world of sound. It's made of seven different kinds of metals–gold, silver, brass, bronze and metals from meteorites that land intact on the mountain peaks of the Himalayas, where there's less atmosphere than anywhere else on earth to burn them up before impact. The bowl produces the most amazing variety of sustained, unearthly tones. It comes with an instrument, wrapped in chamois leather, resembling the kind of pestle you use to crush corn or rock salt in a mortar. You rub that around the rim– how fast and hard you rub determines the pitch and intensity of the tone the bowl produces–and then you put your face down into the bowl and listen. It feels like hearing a pipe organ in a cathedral. It's a wonderful tool for taking me to another, more peaceful place." – Johnny Cash (From Cash: The Autobiography)

So maybe that's what this weblog thing will be like: stuff falling from the sky and producing eerie sounds. Come with me on this wondrous journey of learning, questing reader, and you will be rewarded with tons of mostly inconsequential stuff that I just happened to think was worth hearing about. Oh, and lots of stuff about the evils of Clamato. Oh yes, my friend. Oh, yes.

Pages

Blog Archive