Crazy dream last night.
I was, for some unknown reason, looking at real estate in San Francisco. At the end of a cul-de-sac was a two story house with a sign out front, just like a For Sale sign, but it said "HAUNTED" in Arial 50 pt. font, red shadowed letters on a shiny white sign. I looked up at the front door, which was up a few steps like you see in the city (listen, I know I live in Orange County now, but San Francisco is still the city to me, OK? We cool?) and the front door flapped open once or twice.
Next thing I know, I'm running down the street, arms and legs flailing, making those "Bleeeeaaaa! Bleeeeaaaa!" noises that only truly scared people make, and get this: the sign was chasing me! Just a sign that said "HAUNTED". It was keeping up with me like in some terrible film school stop-motion animation project.
I don't really remember anything else about the dream. But there are a couple of things to consider here:
1. It doesn't really matter what's chasing you in a dream. It's just the idea of being chased. Or what the thing that's chasing you represents. In this case, it was a sign. Semiotically speaking, in this dream, the sign was the signifier, which is more than a little confusing.
b. My dreams are too low budget to afford a good monster. Maybe, though, I'm too jaded by a lifetime of horror-movie viewing. After all, I think the scariest movies are the ones that show the least. Maybe my subconscious is getting all arty on me, and will soon be dropping me a postcard from Cannes, saying only "I must find myself. Au revoir."
About time it did something useful.
- ► 2017 (18)
- ► 2006 (15)
- ► 2005 (31)
- ► 2004 (85)
- I went out and bought myself a real and bona fide ...
- Yesterday, we traveled to scenic Carson, Californi...
- We all loved Oolong the Rabbit, who brought us...
- Absenteeism is rampant here at My Life as an Ameri...
- I grow old...I grow old... I shall wear the bott...
- Created at the astonishingly fun Church Sign G...
- Crazy dream last night. I was, for some unknown...
- I cut myself shaving again this morning. It's ridi...
- Not so very long ago, I was the victim of a Surpri...
- ▼ November (9)
- ► 2002 (337)